My boobs were my tools of the trade for almost 20 months.

Once my youngest daughter weaned herself from the Magical Boob Juice, the fun really began!

(And by fun we all know I mean chaos!)

Pull up a chair, sit a while, read a few pages.

Keep and open mind and a joyful heart and you too can get pumped into the world of The Milk Maid.


5/9/07

I am NOT Angelina Jolie...

But I too can better the lives of infants in Africa!

Now that you are thoroughly confused, let me explain. You see, I've been keeping a secret from all of you for a few months now. I was afraid I would jinx myself if I said anything! So, without further adeu- I have signed up to be a breast milk donor!

Ok, that makes it sound like I just said "Hey, I want to share boob-juice with babies." and they said "Sign here please!". There was a pretty long application process. I took an interview online (link is below) and they processed that. I had to have releases of health signed my my doc as well as Ava's pediatrician. After that cleared, they sent me a kit with a DNA swab for the "donor profile" and had a lab arrange for a blood draw.

I got my "acceptance" this morning. They will be sending me a kit with a hospital grade electric breast pump, sterile containers, a shipping cooler, and a calender of ship dates.

If I lived closer to a milk bank, I could drop off my donations there (and they also allow local donations too for premature infants, cancer patients, burn victims, etc.).

Everything is NO COST- the blood work, the pump, the shipping- all free. I wish I had known about this earlier in my bf-ing days... as a free pump would have been SWEET!

If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://www.prolacta.com/donors.html

This may sound a little cheesy, but I feel absolutely fulfilled today knowing that I am about to make a positive difference in someones life. Some little guy or girl in a far away land will grow up healthy (will grow up) because I was willing to spend a few minutes a few times a day and pump a little milk.

((happy sigh))

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is so awesome!! What a wonderful way to make a difference!

Supermom said...

I went to the site and filled out the application, since I have enough milk to feed several babies. They emailed me and said I can't donate because I had to have the blood transfusions after Ethan was born. I can reapply one year after the transfusions. Not sure I will do that though.

B said...

That is incredibly cool. Congrats! k