My boobs were my tools of the trade for almost 20 months.

Once my youngest daughter weaned herself from the Magical Boob Juice, the fun really began!

(And by fun we all know I mean chaos!)

Pull up a chair, sit a while, read a few pages.

Keep and open mind and a joyful heart and you too can get pumped into the world of The Milk Maid.


11/1/07

Go ahead, be a boob!

Let me go ahead and insert my standard disclaimer here before I get rolling:

Just because I have chosen to breastfeed my child (and blog about it) does not in any way have any influence over how you should feed your kid. Be ye a breastfeeding mom or a formula feeding mom (or any other kind of "I feed my kid this way" mom) you are welcome here, and I respect your decision to feed your kiddo whatever, however, whenever, as much or as little as you want- as long as you respect the prevailing powers here at Milk-Induced Coma, which happen to be boob-affiliated. As always, I will answer any questions you may have about breastfeeding, but I am far from an expert on the topic. Even though Ava is nearing 14 months of boobie-bliss, I did quit bf-ing Faith when she was less than 6 weeks old (because it was hard, my nippies hurt, and no one was willing to offer any good advice). Read on, and enjoy:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After thirteen plus months of being asked WHEN WILL YOU WEAN AVA... answered each time with a snarky "possibly never", I have come to the realization that maybe, just maybe (a little bit), I would like my boobs to be all mine again.

I have always said that as long as Ava is happy at the breast (and not in elementary school or driving or able to recite poetry and prose) then I am happy with her there. But since those top teeth came in last week, along with the new super-suction trick she has learned, I am reconsidering that original thought just a wee bit.

It's been a long and winding milk-splattered road. This traveler is weary from the miles. So why do I feel SOOOO guilty when I run the idea of encouraging Ava to stop bf-ing thru my mind?

Ava only hits the milk bar about 2 or 3 times a day now. Some days it is one time, some days she just wants to be close and may snack 5 or 6 times, or more. I know it is 98% comfort, 1% something tasty, and 1% old habit at this point. Sure, there is still a nutritional value she gains from nursing, but I'm not her soul source of vitamins, minerals, and all kinds of goodies any more.

Guilt-Guilt-Guilt!

Pardon me while I straddle the closest fence and ride out my decision...

(and think about something fun like bathroom vanities)

--The Milk Maid says, but will I still be the Milk Maid?

7 comments:

B said...

Girl, you know I support ya no matter what the decision. I am sure this is hard. I (this is me) would have my own boobie time..since you're wanting to start ttc soon again..and will once again be the milkmaid on demand. : )

kittenroar5 said...

So when are you going to wean Ava? I'M JUST KIDDING!!!

I think you should do whatever you want. We'll still call you the milk maid.

battynurse said...

I too think you should do it whenever you want. You have been amazing in BFing this long, many women don't make it that long. I do understand the desire to have your boobs back to yourself (and Jef)though so don't feel guilty if you decide it's time.

Heather said...

You are a BF queen in my eyes. I wish I could have BF Dalton longer. That is a great thing & if you still want to more power to ya! I do think kindergarden would be a stretch also!

twondra said...

That's a hard decision. Do what you want...don't let others influence ya. :) You'll always be the milk maid to us. :)

Unknown said...

You will always be the milk maid to me! You are the BF champion in my book :) I know it is a hard decision for you and only you will know what is right!

Good luck Milkmaid :)

Anonymous said...

You know I admire you for BF-ing for so long (and I only wish I could have the option to wean Doran now!), but I know it's a hard choice. I have a good friend who is debating on whether she will wean at 18 months or keep going. There are no easy answers, but like other posters have said, you'll always be milk maid to me =)