My boobs were my tools of the trade for almost 20 months.

Once my youngest daughter weaned herself from the Magical Boob Juice, the fun really began!

(And by fun we all know I mean chaos!)

Pull up a chair, sit a while, read a few pages.

Keep and open mind and a joyful heart and you too can get pumped into the world of The Milk Maid.


2/12/07

The Alpaca Files

My horse, King, died last Thursday as I mentioned previously. Being one to believe that nothing happens by chance, his death has opened up a whole realm of possibilites for me to dream about. Like being an Alpaca farmer. I know, you think I've flipped my lid here. No, no.... let me reassure you, I'm just as sane as I ever was (That's not saying a lot some days).

It's like this: There are a limited number of alpacas in the US. No more will be brought into the country from their native South America (Peru, mainly). There fiber is warmer than wool, hypoallergenic, has no lanolin on it which can trap smells and be itchy, and is right up there with cashmere in cost.

Before I go any farther, some of you may not have gotten your Exotic Farm Animal Magazine this month and have no clue what the heck an alpaca even is! Think little llama... a member of the camelid family (yeah, like camel). They are between 32" and 39" at the shoulder (withers) and are gentle, loving animals that rarly spit at humans. Yes, I said spit. Dont get into their squabbles over food and you wont be hit in the face with the putrid stuff.

Long story short here-- I'm looking at buying a few alpacas to raise, breed, and sell. If done correctly, it can be a money maker. It takes a while to build a farm up with good breeding stock, but hey I have nothing but time, right? They're great with children, so Ava and Faith can tag along to the barn and help. I've even heard rumors that 3 adult alpacas will fit into the back of a mini-van. Maybe Jef wont mind too much if I borrow his VW bus for long joy rides with my new friends.

In different news: Faith's birthday party is this afternoon. I'm going to my mom's house in a but to try my hand at cake decorating. Luckily, Faith is less than particular so even if I mess up my attempted Pikachu Pokemon thing on her cake, she knows mommy tried. As soon as I get pics from the party I'll post them here!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your horse.... I know that has to be hard... I think your idea sounds great though! :)

S&C said...

I am sorry for your loss :-(